I want to:
-simplify the content (or at least the appearance of it)
-develop an better organizational scheme for the homepage content (categorize with boxes)
-dispose of excessive elements (tabs, videos, size of ads)
-add a touch of color
-eliminate second row of tabs but including them all under one main tab of "FoxNews Shows" or something to that effect
-eliminate the sections of Videos and Blogs by including them under a tab along the top (maybe include a small box that randomly chooses a video and a blog to display on the main homepage
-make the tabs bigger by utilizing more of the page for news and less for ads
-give option to choose color (like on aol homepage, small color swatches at top right of page)
-perhaps have one large main box, with three main stories that "tear away" (similar to NY Post)
-change the heading, similar to layout/design of The Onion page, with logo centered and tabs underneath, spaced out, in one spaced out looking row, and also NYmag with logo centered and search tool to the left
One option that could work would be to have a main box with important news stories and then have boxes that categorize information by subject (ie. sports, finance, entertainment, etc). These boxes would contain all of the information for these subjects and would allow the user to scroll up and down within each individual box, almost as if each box were a website within a website. This will fix the current problem of the inconsistent layout for each section.
I want to make the page light gray. Then, in each individual section, I want to make the header a maroon box with the text in white or gray lettering.
The heading needs to be more prominent. I would like to make the the heading larger, center the FoxNews logo, and add a search bar to the left of this. The tabs could be placed underneath this, in their simplified manner (condensing the current second row of tabs into one tab).
The ads along the right side of the page also appear extremely prominent and I feel like they are obstructing the content of the site and its appearance. While they can't be taken away, they need to be minimalized in size.
Basically every tab that runs across the top is also its own section on the homepage, which I feel is unnecessary. Also, the Faces & Features section is needless and can be done away with (I feel) without harming the site. It is essentially another Entertainment section.
I feel like this is a good start, although there is so much potential work to redesigning this messy disorganized site.
:::::This captures the basic idea of what I mainly want to do, which is condense the information on the site without getting rid of it. Many more changes to come however, I just wanted to map out my plan on paper and see how it worked and go from there:

No comments:
Post a Comment